Tuesday, November 15, 2005

spent two whole hours at agency

Recently registered myself with a sort of catering agency. They provide people to serve food/wine at dinners or to work at bars/kiosks at stadiums. Having completed training, it’s now up to me to call into their office every week to ‘book work’, is. Find out what work is available for the coming week, and book myself a slot for when I’m available.
Why then was I at the agency for a whole 2 hours? They had an ‘open day’ for us temps (‘temporary workers’) to book work for the whole of December. It was supposed to be from 8.30-9.15pm. I arrived at the office just on time and it was packed full of youngsters like myself. So I was geared up for a wait. When it was finally y group’s turn, we were asked to stand around table of a staff at the agency. She listed the jobs available, day-by-day for a week, and whoever’s available booked him/herself for the job. It didn’t help that this first lady we got was particularly cranky, having been in front of the computer doing that for quite a few hours I suppose, and the room being that crowded, with an ongoing noisy din. Luckily, we came to nicer people as we moved on to the other stations. What relief when it was finally over. Also helped that the lady who printed out my placement schedule was so nice. Phew! Finally, off I go!
These jobs will finance my Geneva trip (switched to Geneva, cos my friend’s worried bout the riots in Paris), and then some : D. The job on New Year’s Eve pays £10/hour! Woohoo… Bummer though that I’ll have to buy some parts of the uniform. Will try to relax and not break/spill anything at work.. Thanx, C, for the reassuarance : )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home