Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Trip Down South Part II


Visiting the National Art Gallery in London, 1 November 2005

Yup, I made it to the National Gallery after all. Was quite intent on goin there this time around ‘cos I read in The Da Vinci Code that Da Vinci produced two dissimilar copies of The Virgin of the Rocks, one of which is displayed here in the National Gallery, the other at The Louvre. Since I’m slated to go to Paris with friends in December, I’d like to take a look at the one here first. Plus, my interest in art galleries has been piqued ever since that visit to the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery earlier this year.

Finding my way to the gallery from the bus stop was a challenge in itself. I got lost, again! That’s why I prefer the tube (the London Underground) over the bus. You know for sure when you get to your designated station, and there’s a map of the surrounding area in the station. The simple map I copied from Li Vyen (my coursemate with whom I came to London with) covered too small an area and was not helpful in face of the dense, non-perpendicular streets of the area. Eventually, I got directions from someone and found some signposts on the street.
Imagine my relief when having wandered around worried and exasperated with luggage in tow for a good 15 minutes at least, a cluster of relatively magnificent buildings came into view, and I saw a signpost indicating I was just steps away from the gallery. At first I mistook a nearby church for it :p Good thing I spotted the board about times for mass and the closed door >.<. The gallery stood in front of a large square (which I later learnt was Tralfagar Square). The sun was halfway up the eastern horizon and its rays cast dramatic shadows of the various objects in the square – the raised platforms, the people and especially a statue perched atop a very high pillar. Climbed the steps to the Roman-pillared Portico entrance (one of a few of the entrances to the gallery), filled with relief. Took a few pictures of the square and made my way in. Greater relief when I realised they have a cloakroom! Which means I can put these bags away for a while : D So off to the cloakroom (which was situated amidst a corridor of low white arches over a black floor which created a sorta mysterious subterranean feel), then back to the main reception for a plan of the gallery and an audio guide. The Virgin of the Rocks was situated in the first room I entered and it is indeed a masterpiece in my view. The glowing faces of Mary, Uriel, baby Jesus and baby John stood out in stark contrast to the dark background of a rocky cavern. I can truly imagine how eerie, as the audio guide commented, this painting would seem, hung in a dimly lit church where it was commissioned for. I was attracted instantly by the angel’s downcast gaze. The soft expressions of the characters and their subtle gestures were somehow arresting, and it’s truly impressive how the master, with the use of colour and shades made the figures appear to come to life on the two-dimensional canvass. I was quite awestruck as you can probably tell. ^.^ The image lingered in my mind throughout my trip round the gallery and remained my favourite piece. Must have to do with the novel!



There were some other pretty good pieces as well, but I was hard-pressed for time, having to meet Li Vyen at the Café de Hong Kong (imagine Kim Gary) near Chinatown in 40 minutes, and so wasn’t able to browse at a leisurely pace. The museum was also fairly busy with groups of school children and discussion groups and other visitors. Was mainly just looking out for the prominent works in an express tour of about half of the gallery.

The food at the Café was ok lor. They could’ve spread more peanut butter on the French Toast and the Black Pearl Tea (珍珠奶茶) wasn’t as good as Manchester’s Wong Wong Bakery’s. But overall, ok, and I like the familiar sound of Cantopop tunes they usually play in Chinese eateries here.

Immediately after lunch, I made my way to Euston train station for my trip home to Manchester.

Phew, that was quite a long one. Sorry if I’ve bored you with the narration >.<


"Patisserie Francois" in Bayswater

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home