Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Trip Down South Part I

Backtracking to Sunday, 30 October 2005…

An enjoyable day in London. Must admit that of my trip down South, this is the leg I most looked forward to. Was greeted by excellent weather (read : warm rays of sun : D ) when I made my way to Malaysia Hall. It got so warm I no longer needed my jacket. Left my bags with a friendly makcik at the Hall.
While on my past trips I had C as my guide, thus never havin to rely on my (oh, is it there?) sense of direction, today I travelled completely alone. Found my own way between the coach station - Bayswater (where Malaysia Hall is) – Chinatown, then back and out again. I was thoroughly exhausted by the time I got to the British Museum (slight disappointment: I’d wanted to visit the National Art Gallery – forgot there is a difference between museum and art gallery : p ). So I really was not up to wandering around the Russel Square area in search of the museum (yup I actually did not have a map). Nevertheless, I discovered a Sicilian avenue en route, and was eventually shown the way by a good samaritan : “… It’s a massive building on your right. You won’t miss it.” Indeed. The entrance to the museum comprised of a courtyard and steps leading up to a porch held up by Roman pillars. Promptly joined an ‘eye-opener tour’ of The Classical World (Rome and Greece) upon arrival. I was particularly fascinated by one of the frieze sculptures of the Pantheon temple which featured men on horseback making their way towards a feast.Awesome how the sculptors could o effectively depict the growing momentum of the procession. Also visited the Egypt rooms but wasn’t all too impressed. But I was perhaps juts too tired to fully appreciate the artefacts. Rested on the steps at the entrance before making my way back to the tube station. Felt like a wandering traveller as I joined other worn-out tourists there, leaning on a pillar with music from my discman in my ears (Sammi Cheng’s album, which I couldn’t get tired of throughout my trip. The songs 傷 and 世界之最我願意 really grew on me).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home